Bean and Bacon Soup
Cooler days rolling through? Clean out your pantry and fridge to make this hearty and filling bean and bacon soup. It’s customizable and will warm you up quick!
- 2 tsp. oil
- ½ cup chopped onion or ½ tsp. onion powder
- Pinch of rosemary, basil or oregano
- ½ cup bacon, pancetta or prosciutto, diced
- Two 15 oz. can tomatoes, chopped
- ½ tsp. crushed red pepper or a few dashes of hot sauce (or more to taste)
- 1 cup red wine
- 2 cups beef, chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 ½ cups cooked beans (white beans, chickpeas, lentils, or another favorite)
- Salt and pepper
Heat oil on medium in a soup pot. Add onion, rosemary, and bacon; cook for 5 minutes. Add tomatoes, red pepper, wine, and broth; simmer for 8-10 minutes. Add beans and cook 5 minutes more. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve.
By Lori Ross, Southern Boating September 2018