Muffaletta Pasta Salad
It’s all Greek to me! And I’m glad it is. This Greek-style muffaletta pasta salad uses the best of what you’ve got aboard to make a meal that would make anyone want to say Opa. Opt for high-quality ingredients here. It makes all the difference in terms of flavor.
- 1 lb. small pasta (macaroni, orecchiette, rigatoni or fusilli), freshly cooked and drained
- 4 Tbsp. oil, divided
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped (or 1 Tbsp. onion powder)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (or ½ tsp. garlic powder)
- 15 oz. can artichoke hearts, drained and quartered
- 5 oz. can roasted peppers, drained and diced
- 1 ½ cups diced summer sausage or salami
- 2 cups feta, kasseri, mozzarella or other favorite cheese, diced or crumbled
- 2 Tbsp. capers, drained (or pepperoncini peppers or sour pickles, chopped)
- 3 Tbsp. pitted green or black olives or a mixture of both
- 10 sun-dried tomatoes, drained and coarsely chopped
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 4 Tbsp. lemon juice
- ¼ tsp. each salt and pepper
Toss warm pasta with 2 tablespoons oil and set aside. In a skillet over medium, heat 2 remaining tablespoons of oil and sauté the onion and garlic until soft, about 7 minutes.
Combine onion and garlic with remaining ten ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Pour the warm pasta into a bowl and toss. Add more salt, pepper or lemon juice to taste. Serve warm or at room temperature.
By Lori Ross, Southern Boating September 2018
More Cleanout the pantry recipes: